28 April 2006

Wascally Wabbits

So my adventure today took me to the butcher.

Melissa had found a recipe in one of her books for "Beer Braised Rabbit". She was joking when she mentioned it, but I found it intriguing. I figured they probably wouldn't have rabbit at the Acme, so I called Roy Tweedy's butcher shop. The guy I talked to confirmed that, yes, they had frozen rabbits. Awesome?

I drove over to the shop and found the rabbits in the freezer case. Yep, they were whole rabbits. De-skinned, but whole. Interesting. I asked one of the guys, just to make sure. Yep. Heads and all, he said. And each rabbit would probably be about enough for one person. They were only $2.99 each, so price was not necessarily prohibitive. I think the part that held me back most what the thought of seeing the little buck teeth staring at me from the oven. Indeed.

In the end, there will be no beer braised rabbit served at Chez' Kaiser tomorrow. Maybe some day, but not tomorrow. Chicken will have to do.

No comments: