18 April 2006

Roommate Hang Out

On Friday Rachel and I spent some time together. We had brunch at a tasty cafe a couple of blocks from my apartment. Then we came back to my place, and I showed her the Rent alternate ending. And then we breakdanced. Yes, it's true. For Christmas I bought Timmy a how-to-breakdance dvd. It's awesome, but Timmy had yet to open it. He says that it would be awesome to be able to whip out some breakdancing moves at parties and weddings, but now that he has the chance - nope, no breakdancing. But Rachel and I did :) I can always count on Rachel to dance with me.

The first step to learn when you breakdance is the toprock. It is foundational, and it's the basic move dancers are doing between the more complex moves. But it was still hard.



The Toprock:
Starting position: Feet side by side. Both hands at your side.
1 - Hop in starting position.
2 - Step out with your left foot. Toe tap at 45 degree angle over your right foot. Arms spread out back.
3 - Back to the starting position. Hop.
4 - Step out with your right foot. Toe tap at 45 degree angle over your left foot. Arms spread out back.
1 - Back at starting position. Hop. Repeat.
Sound a little weird? It's hard to explain, and it's pretty hard to do!




Even though we were no where near close to mastering the toprock, we decided to continue with the double disk set, and we spent some time working on spins. Rachel was pretty good.





She did pretty well. I, on the other hand, not so good. I had a hard time getting myself on my arms so I kept falling over. Rachel has much more upper body strength than I do and she is much more coordinated. Also she was barefoot and had a better grip on our hardwood floors.



And even when I didn't have to be spinning around, I still couldn't hold myself up. My attempt at a "freeze."



Even then, we had a good time. We got hot, a little sweaty. So we had some Rita's ice and Turkey Hill ice cream for our cool down. Mmmm - yay. Next time, Babe, we will attempt headspins : )

No comments: