24 April 2006

North Penn Class of 1998

I finally got around to calling up that 800 number I got in the mail several weeks ago. Actually, several weeks ago, I got a final notice. My alma mater is updating and republishing their alumni directory. There was one a few years back. I didn't know about it until one of brothers brought it over to a get together - 5 Rolon siblings are North Penn grads. Funny because I think they might have graduated before I was born - or at least one of them : ) Well, anyway, so I called the 800 number to give them my updated information: name, address, email. All was well and good; in fact, the girl on the other end who I could tell was very young, congratulated me on my recent marriage when she asked if my name had changed. (technically, still working on that name change thing but in my heart, I am Melissa Kaiser). Towards the end of the conversation, she said "well Ms. Kaiser" and I started giggling. It was first time I heard that from someone who wasn't a friend or family member. So, I had to tell her why I was laughing. She laughed but it was one of those awkward, "that's weird" laugh and she replied "so long as it makes happy." Yes, indeed it does.

Of course, she wanted to put me down as reserving an advanced copy. I could only assume it would be slightly pricey so I told her I would have to talk to my brothers and sister to see if one of them were getting one. That wasn't a true statement because I don't really want one. If I happen to see one, I'll look through it but I don't really care to get in touch with anyone. (One exception but I have her number). But she kept pressing me and I asked how much - "two payments of 39.95" I'll refrain from writing what I thought in my head. 80 bucks for an alumni directory - yeah, right. True, this book will be big and it was the alumni verson (hard back) vs the regular version (paper back and $10 less). $80 for an alumni book. Wow. I can only hope the money raised will go to something good and not to some lame prom-like class reunion. Either way, it won't my money.

No comments: